Friday, November 12, 2010

The Liberty Tree: Austin's poorest spend 45% of income on electricit...

The Liberty Tree: Austin's poorest spend 45% of income on electricit...

This posting has definitely caught my attention! As a newcomer to the homeowner society, I had no idea just how expensive utility bills could run. So I was not surprised to hear that Austin's poorest population spends on average forty-five percent of their income on the electric bill. It truly amazes me that that could or is almost half of somebody's salary. I cannot help but wonder if gas would be cheaper to run certain appliances compared to electricity. As I tried to do some investigation to whether there was truth or tale about gas being cheaper than electric, I came across CenterPoint Energy site. This site provides a calculator to provide you with information to what is the better option. However, since CenterPoint Energy is a natural gas company I imagine that there is some bias to their calculations.

For being Austin's prominent newspaper (Austin American Statesman), I am rather disappointed that there was no statistical information provided. I would like to know where that data came from and was the information obtained as a random sample. I find that to be a pretty modest statement "Austin's poorest" to be publishing without the reasoning behind the rest of the story. The information that was provided does not sooth the curious mind, but instead leaves many unanswered questions! Like many other fellow Americans, I want to see the proof behind something before I am willing to believe it! However, if it is true, then maybe the power companies could do something about their increasingly high rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment